Brown Braised Chicken (Huang黄 Men焖 Ji鸡) is a famous dish originated from Shandong province in China. The dish offers chicken braised with ginger, sugar, salt and other ingredients and with shiitake mushrooms. Sometimes the mushroom is replaced with potato. The major flavor of Brown Braised Chicken is salty with strong fragrance with minor sweet note. There are variations as it adapts to different taste preference - adding fresh chili peppers into the dish brings spicyness into the flavor combination. The dish recently becomes quite popular throughout China due to the wide acceptance of its flavor and the quick preparation of the dish.
At Chef Liu Houston, we offer Brown Braised Chicken dish based on its original flavors with no chili peppers at all. Here is the recipe for your reference:
1. Cut the chicken into small cubes (1 inch)
2. Add the chicken cubes, shiitabke mushroom, ginger slices into the pressure cooker
3. Add the Shengchubao Brown Braised Chicken Sauce and water (250g) into the pressure cooker and fully mix with chicken and mushroom;
4. Put the pressure cooker on stove with high heat;
5. Turn down to low heat after the steam comes out of the pressure cooker;
6. Wait for 8 minutes before getting the pressure cooker off the stove;
7. Get the mix out to a bowl and put onion slice and scallion pieces on top of the chicken
At Chef Liu Houston, the Brown Braised Chicken is quite special due to the following facts:
Squirrel Fish is a dish feature a beautiful de-boned fried fish peppered with crispy green peas with sweet and sour sauce.
Recipe with brief descriptions:
1. Gut the fish and clean it;
2. Cut the fish head and tail off and deep fry them for later use;
3. Cut the fish body to get 2 fillets and then cross-cut the 2 fillets but do not cut through the skin;
4. Bread the fillet and then fried it in the fryer;
5. Assemble the fish head, tail and 2 fried fillets in the plate;
6. Mix sugar, Chinese vinegar, ginger, minced garlic together and stir fry the mix in a wok;
7. Pour the mix onto the assembled fish in the plate;
8. Deep fry the green peas in a wok / fryer;
9. Peppered the crispy green peas on the assembled fish
Among these steps, there are several key steps:
1. De-bone the fish (cut the fish to get 2 fillets and then cross-cut the fillet without cutting the fish skin. This step is critical to have the beautiful visual as seen in the picture;
2. Bread the special cut fillets and deep fry it in the fryer or wok. this step is the key to keep the fried fish crispy while keep the tenderness of fish meat. The unique texture creates quite a sensation in your month;
3. Make sweet and sour sauce - this step compliments the visual and texture with the actual taste. To me this is the most important step as the taste always triumphs the visual and texture.
You could use many different kind of fish for this dish. In the picture above, the fish we used is a 2lb Tilapia fish. You can also use Bass, Asian Carp and other fishes. But the best weight should not exceed 3 - 4 pounds.
Here is another picture from a special angle. LOL